Monday, February 25, 2008

I was kicked in the butt again.......

If the heart and soul of mankind has no "weight".....life becomes tragically capsized.....
The minister at the church I attend has been talking about the fall of man and what led us there....as well....as how we today can learn from that situation. I have been convicted week after week in this series.
He told the story of a man who's last name was Plant....he was a tremendous sailor, who took a boat called the Coyote out to sail around the world. The Coyote...was a state of the art boat. It had all the most sophisticated equipment money could buy...much like the Titanic it was a wonder of it's time. He had a support team who tracked him using satellite and phone. He took off by himself........sometime during his trip he was battered with terrible storms, that knocked out satellite contact as well as the phone, but the support team wasn't worried....he'd call in when he could .....after all the Coyote has safety equipment and such... so....of course you know....they never heard from him again. When they went searching for him they found the Coyote floating in the ocean upside down. Now, I'm no sailor, but he explained that....ships don't generally stay capsized, because the weight of the rutters and such are too heavy.....however.....the Coyote with all it's equipment...wasn't balanced below the waterline and it was too top heavy.......
His point was....a life without God.....below the surface.....filling the inner fiber that quide our decisions......makes our life out of balance. No matter how great or together we look outside...if we don't have him in the center of our life.....our balance is off and our lives become tragically capsized.... I totally love that illustration!

So ...the more we've got going on above... the more Godly weight we must have below. We must have him deep within us guiding us or we will fail. Kicked my butt....we were challenged to examine whether or not our lives were balanced..... some of the questions we were to think about were......
are we:
selfish or selfless
directed or drifting
filtered or flawed
perceptive or perplexed
only God living in our lives weighing us and balancing us brings the second in each question.
I have some work to do.....I feel like I'm pretty ok with a couple of these, but sometimes I allow what's going on above the waterline...define what my reactions and actions are....and how I weight below the waterline...and that shouldn't be that way.......it should be a steady weight that doesn't get determined by the outside....it should be what decides what I do.
Anyway, gave me alot to think about......I haven't been too good at giving control over God.
Well, it's off to work I go for the first time again in several days...I'm very leary......when kids...especially special education kids are off for a long time.....there is alot that they seem to lose and it's alot of extra work to get them back into the swing of things. Wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Sounds like a good sermon, Beth. I like the analogy, but only wonder, when we speak of God being "below the surface" and "at the center of our life", do we refer merely to possessing thoughts regarding Him, being about those things that we feel are by His directive, or is there a connection to which we run where we find Him actually "alive" within us? I'm afraid too often we, as a people professing to be His, are "anchored" in no more than our own thinking...

Enjoy the new car, ma'am...

BethAnn said...

I feel Jim that the only way to have him.."below the surface" is to have a very personal relationship to Him and refers to following his directives......not just allowing our fear, and circumstances to take over....to have Him so much at the core of who we are there is no possibility of reacting in any other way.
And thanks...I will enjoy the car...it rocks!